You don’t need sex therapy, only when you don’t want to improve your sexual life. The sexual side of your life covers a big part, and when problems start to come into that zone, all the things shatter in no time. A man and a woman go through numerous problems when they are together, but I am not just talking about daily life issues. But the issues that arise in the bedroom.
Sexual problems are real, and people tend to ignore it. This article will cover the common sexual problems that can happen in a relationship and how sex therapy for couples can help solve these.
4 Common Sexual Problems in a Relationship
1. Decreasing Sex Drive
When it comes to sex, a lot of things depend on your sex drive. Low libido or decreased sex drive makes it difficult to enjoy the precise moments. It is common to experience this in women. It can happen due to pregnancy, low mood, or recently giving birth.
Physical factors affect the mood and drive of men and women. Physical conditions like diabetes, hormonal imbalance, or depression can become the reason for low libido. It harms your frequent sexual intercourse and affects your desires.
2. Premature Ejaculation
Rapid ejaculation is another issue that makes it difficult for men to stay longer in bed. However, there is no standard time for staying in bed, but when you ejaculate too early, you just know it. Studies show that three to five minutes is the average time it takes for a man to ejaculate.
Stress or anxiety is the most common cause. Excessive drinking and use of recreational drugs also lead to this situation. Men usually connect their ejaculation with their stamina, but there is no right or wrong when it comes to mutual sexual gratification. You can find various ways to delay your ejaculation.
3. Pain During Sex
Sex is a fun activity, but sometimes it becomes painful during sex. The discomfort that you experience during intercourse should not be ignored. It can happen due to various reasons, such as infection, illness, and physical or psychological problems.
Men and women both experience the pain during intercourse. Changing hormones during menopause can lead to pain in the genitals. At the same time, dyspareunia happens in men during or after the ejaculation.
It is vital to share these problems with your healthcare provider to get treatment for them. It can be a sign of some future issue, try not to avoid it.
With the accessibility of porn on everyone’s phone, it is common to feel bored or less interested in the bedroom. Boredom can also happen due to differing libidos. It impacts both partners and affects their sex drive.
When feeling bored, communication helps a lot. Talking your thoughts to your partner helps to reduce the tension between the couple. Differing libidos can make it difficult to enjoy the moment. But talking is the best thing you can do without taking any professional help.
What is Sex Therapy?
Sex therapy is a type of psychotherapy that helps to solve sexual problems in couples. You can attend this therapy alone or with your partner. A person attends this therapy to find a treatment or some solution for the sexual problems we have discussed above.
Sex therapy focuses on talking and conveying your thoughts to the therapist. They help you understand the patterns. The main reason for going to sex therapy is sexual dysfunction or problems related to sex. It helps you build physical intimacy in the relationship and understand each other.
Many problems occur due to the lack of communication between the couples. Sex therapy allows you to think and talk about the problems or thoughts that you aren’t comfortable talking to your partner about.
Sex therapy works on:
- Stress and anxiety
- Intimacy problems
Sex therapy for married couples focuses on getting the details of the couple’s relationship and providing them with behavioral exercises to make it better. The main goal of sex therapy for erectile dysfunction is to feel good and get intimate with your partner without any issues.
Benefits of Sex Therapy For Couples
Helps to Achieve a Satisfying Sex Life
Sex life is more than getting orgasms. It is about intimacy. Sex therapy helps to enhance your relationship with your partner. The bond that you share and the quality time that you spend is more important than getting an orgasm.
Sex therapy helps you understand the little moments with your partner. A relationship should not only focus on the sexual side but also the emotional side. Your mental, emotional, and physical well-being largely depends on the type of relationship with your partner. To experience a satisfying sex life, you need to find a common base for each other.
Sex therapy allows you to sink into the situation and be comfortable talking about it with your partner.
Enhanced Sexual Confidence
When you resist talking with your partner, it creates a boundary between you two. Sexual dysfunction makes it difficult to think well of yourself. You start to think less worthy of yourself.
Sex therapy addresses this problem and makes you feel loved by yourself. Lack of confidence in sex leads to performance anxiety. It is a common problem that happens due to increased anxiety during intercourse. Therapy helps to build your sexual confidence and self-esteem.
Strengthens the Relationship
If you struggle with a rough time with your partner, sex psychotherapy helps to bring back the joy. All it does is open the closed gate of communication. Sex therapy provides the guidance that helps to build a deeper connection and reignite the bond with your partner.
Yes, sex therapy also helps in reducing stress and anxiety. Talking about your problems and giving yourself a chance to express your feelings greatly reduce stress. The session centers on boosting wellness and improving the quality of your life.
Long Term Sexual Satisfaction
The major advantage of sex therapy is that it provides long-term sexual satisfaction. It resolves the issues and provides a way to treat them in the future. The therapist specializes in telling people how they can understand and resolve the patterns themselves. A satisfying sexual intimacy depends on the mood, self-esteem, and the deepness of the bond you share with your partner.
If you think sex therapy works on building a better sexual experience, then you are right. It also helps you to overcome past trauma or emotional barriers. It majorly helps women to come out of an abusive relationship.
Sex Therapy Techniques and Strategies
Here are some strategies and techniques therapists use to make you feel loved and resolve problems. Get a better understanding of sex therapy.
- Sensate Focus: This technique works on bringing a sensational experience for the couple. It focuses on practicing affectionate and non-sexual touch. It is good to reduce anxiety and bring intimacy.
- Communication Exercise: This exercise solely focuses on conveying messages and thoughts about sexual needs, desires, and boundaries. Works by discussing scenarios and assigning the task to practice at home.
- CBT: Cognitive behavioral therapy helps in identifying the unhelpful or useless thoughts about sex. This technique includes cognitive restructuring, behavioral experiments, and exposure exercises.
- Body Image Exercise: For people who have low self-esteem about their body image, this technique helps them to improve their body image and allows sex therapy with physical contact. It enhances their sexual confidence by using mirror exercises, cognitive restructuring of negative body beliefs, and mindful practices.
- Mindfulness Practices: Mindfulness practices help to get a deep idea about something. It boosts intimacy, brings body awareness, and reduces anxiety. You will do mindful touch, meditation, and some mindfulness exercises.
- Desensitization Technique: This technique focuses on solving problems like erectile dysfunction and vaginitis. It works by reducing the fear and increasing the comfort in sexual activities.
How to Find a Sex Therapist?
After learning about the importance of sex therapy, if you feel like attending sessions, then this is how you can find a sex therapist:
- When it comes to choosing the right therapist for yourself, always have multiple options. You can ask different places where you need a therapist.
- Organizations like the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and AASECT can help you find one.
- You can also simply Google “Sex Therapists for couples near me” in the search bar, and you will find results.
- It is better to ask for a referral in these cases. Ask your friends you have attended or your healthcare provider for the same.
- Ask about the therapist’s treatment plan and insurance to avoid the issues that could arise in the future.
Understanding your needs and desires is okay. Taking the help of a professional will help you find satisfaction in your sex life. Communication and guidance play a crucial role when it comes to problems with your partner. The strategies they use and the problems they can solve are worth giving a try.
If you suffer from sexual dysfunction and don’t know where to start, we have got you covered. You don’t have to go anywhere because we provide ED medicines that help you achieve a stronger erection during intercourse.